Port of Suva
Construction of the Kings Wharf began in 1912 with a wooden structure which serviced Fiji and the Pacific Islands for nearly 50 years. In 1961 the wharf entered the era of concrete deck and piles with additional cargo sheds being built. By early 1970’s Suva Wharf was a bustling centre with the arrival of container and roll-on, roll off services. With the imposed additional constraints bringing with it technological advancement, reconstruction and redesign of the wharf was necessary. Work began in October 1982 to cater for this but the shipping industry continued to evolve with Lift-On and Lift Off advancement, by late 1990’s MPAF had to begin planning again for Port Infrastructure.
October 2005 was the completion of FPCL’s $31 million upgrading and rehabilitation works on the wharf structure including a life line section designed to withstand high seismic activity.
Fiji Ports Marine Factsheet
- Position: 18 degrees -8S, 178 degrees -26E
- 5 Berth Locations
- Kings South; 11 m @ CD
- Kings Central; 11 m @ CD
- Kings North; 11 m @ CD
- Walu Bay; 9 m @ CD
- Princess; 4 m @ CD
- Terminal Storage: 100000 TEU
- Reefers: Number of outlets; Voltage:
- Tankers: Discharge lines 8 in. diameter. Depths alongside 11 m @ CD. No residue discharge facility.
- Density: Salt water, density 1025 approximately, no tide effect on density
- Fresh Water: Available at all berths Delivery rate 30 t.p.h per hose. Hose diameter 75 mm
- Stevedoring: Providing by FPCL’s subsidiary, Ports Terminal Limited.
- Opening/Closing Hatches: By Ports Terminal Limited but ships crew may undertake at Master’s discretion.
- Equipment – Gotwald Mobile Harbour Crane with lift of 15 TEU’s per hour, forklifts, Omega Spreaders. All gear is managed by Ports Terminal Limited